Saturday, March 28, 2009

salt and pepper.

I recently visited my boyfriends home town of Hutchinson, Kansas.  Although the primary goal of our trip was to watch NCAA basketball (Rock Chalk Jayhawk), we also visited the famous, Carey Salt museum .  Beneath the town of Hutchinson lie miles and miles of salt mines used to provide road and table salt.  We went on a tour of the museum with my boyfriends family and travelled 650 ft underground into the pure and pristine salt mines.  I expected the mines to be dirty and dark like the mines I'd visited in grade school in Colorado, but the salt mines were pristine and clean.  In fact the salt is such a good preservative  that many famous movies, like Gone With The Wind, and costumes (batman, Superman, James Deans shirts) are stored in a salt mine archive!  I had a great time learning about the salt, and even got to take a hunk home!  (although all I really wanted to do was lick the wall, apparently that is against the rules!!!)  
I found this cool artist, Motoi Yamamoto, who uses salt in a completely differently way (not as road salt, but as art!)  ENJOY.  

No comments: