Thursday, January 7, 2010

holy snow!

It just won't stop snowing here, and apparently our town is completely unequipped to deal with ice/snow on the streets, which are totally treacherous.  As a Colorado native, I'm used to living with snow, but at least Denver is a city that knows how to plow the roads!  ...whew, sorry about the rant, it's just that I am working two jobs this week (normal KC ballet + White Christmas) and its been such a stress, getting to work and such. 
But, man, all this snow makes for a pretty setting, especially in the sun.  
I have a few big fur coats like this but I hardly wear them, for some reason I get a bit self conscious in them.  I think I feel a little over the top sometimes, or like a big, furry, giant, bear/girl amazon woman.  But, it is just so COLD and wintery here that this coat feels appropriate. (and, I like that this coat matches my hair color!)
One of the best things about buying from vintage/ thrift store is that the clothing/treasures have already lived a life and can sometimes tell a story.  This coat was actually made in Kansas City, which is really cool, and speaks to what an industrious city KC once was
 and to top it off someone lovingly stitched in the initials "J.E.D." into the lapel.  
Who were you J.E.D.?  when did you wear this coat? was it for cocktails and parties?  I wish I knew your story.... alas, all I can do is thank you for passing on your coat so that I can stay toasty and cute on this cold winter day!
outfit details: coat: thrifted, jeans: Urban Outfitters, shirt: thrifted, earrings: F21

4 comments:

Carole Buschmann said...

Hey I like the new look and the new name also absolutely jealous over the coat. I remember that store from whence it came!

Jaeveberry said...

Great coat! And I'm jealous of your snow, we've got a little too much sunshine in LA.

Tieka, Selective Potential said...

I love that coat on you.. and the snow definitely makes for pretty pictures!

Rebecca, A Clothes Horse said...

Pretty coat! It definitely looks like it'll keep you warm.